Laser or Phototherapy
What is Laser or Phototherapy?
LASER is an acronym for “light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation.” This theory was introduced by Einstein in 1917.
Phototherapy is “a therapeutic physical modality, using photons (light energy) from the visible and infrared spectrum for tissue healing and pain reduction” as defined by the North American Association of Laser Therapy (NAALT).
Also known as low level laser therapy (LLLT), or cold (or soft) laser therapy, low energy laser therapy or laser therapy, the therapeutic light energy can be produced by either LED (light emitting diodes), SLD (super luminous diodes, or super bright LEDs), or low-level laser diodes.
How can Laser Therapy help ?
Laser Therapy can help to enhance healing in multiple ways:
- Pain reduction or even potential nerve regeneration can occur through altering nerve membrane potentials and reducing inflammatory cytokines, which can be influential in pain management by reducing the heightened nociceptive load.
- Muscle soreness can be decreased, potentially allowing more comfortable adjustments and a faster return to activity.
- Edema reduction may also be achieved by a variety of mechanisms.
Common examples of ailments that can be treated with Laser:
- Low-back pain
- Acute, chronic and multi-factorial cervical pain
- Peripheral nerve injuries and radiculopathies
- Myofascial pain
- TMJ syndrome
- Shoulder tendinopathy
- Frozen shoulder
- Degenerative knee arthritis
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Achilles tendonitis and plantar fasciitis
Santé Group HealthCare patients often see immediate increases in range of motion and rapid reduction of pain. Rehabilitation goals can generally be achieved faster, allowing our patients the potential of less lost time from work and a quicker return to activities of daily living.
Santé Group HealthCare uses state-of-the-art MedX Lasers, in use around the world since 2002, the same year the FDA approved laser therapy for human use. The detailed MedX Treatment Manual provides accurate protocols and settings for over 65 common ailments.
MedX Lasers are of the highest quality and are made in North America. MedX products are US FDA cleared, Health Canada licensed and CE Marked, and produced in an ISO13485:2003 certified manufacturing and testing facility. Safety glasses are provided for use with each treatment.
Contact us today @ Santé Group HealthCare to find out how Laser Therapy can help you!